These adorable heart hangers are quite easy to make and a set will be a fabulous gift.
You will need:
- Tea towels – linen & cotton
- Narrow ribbons – try satin & gingham
- Buttons & beads
- Red stranded cotton
- Toy stuffing
- Heart template
How to make the hearts
- Transfer the heart shape template on to a fold in your tea towel. Cut out the heart shape. Hold the fabric firmly, and use sharp, strong scissors because tea towel fabric is thick! Once you’re done, cut out a second heart the same way. If you want to decorate your hearts, then do it now before you sew them up – add pretty buttons or simple embroidered designs.
- Next, put your two fabric heart shapes right sides together, so that any decoration you’ve 2 added is facing inwards. Create a loop from ribbon and pin the ends to the top of one of the hearts. Sew the two hearts together using the seam allowance from the template as a guide, and leave a gap for the stuffing along one straight side. This stitching should hold the ends of the ribbon firmly to produce your hanger. Remove all the pins.
- Use small, sharp scissors to snip little V shapes, almost to the sewn line edges of the heart. This will give your sachet a much smoother shape. Now push the fabric through the gap you left to turn your heart right- side out. Stuff the heart using plain toy stuffing until it’s reasonably firm, and add lavender or a few drops of essential oil for a scented finish. Once you’re done, carefully sew up the gap by hand.
Source: The making Spot